Hmmm. since Carolyn tagged me, i’ve been thinking and thinking and finding this really hard. “Surely not?’ says Roland. Here goes:
1. I don’t like to be too far from the sea. One of the nice things about Kent is that it has such a large coastline, you are never far from the sea. When I am in the middle of England, no matter how beautiful the scenery, I always feel landlocked and hemmed in.
2.I like graveyards too, Carolyn. And pictures of Jesus. We have a few vintage statues of Jesus and saints and angels around the house. I also like those religious motto pictures which say things like “In God is my salvation”. But I’m not especially religious, I just find them comforting.
3. I hate the cinema. It’s too loud and I don’t like sitting in the dark with all those people. I don’t like TV with surround sound either. I like the sound to come out of the TV the old fashioned way, thank you very much.
4. I think I have mild ADHD. When Alexei was going through one of his more, erm, “lively” phases, I looked up it up on the internet. Oh. My. God. That’s me they’re describing.
5. I don’t mind cooking but I don’t like entertaining. I’ve lost interest by the time it comes to serve it up and I always forget to put in some essential last minute ingredient like the prawns in a prawn curry. I would be happy to entertain if I had staff to serve it. Is that really spoilt and awful? I like eating though, so feel free to invite me round, if you feel so inclined.
6. This is not really a weird thing about me but a weird thing nonetheless. About ten years ago Roland was going away for a weekend to Gothenburg, Sweden.
Roland: “Is there anything you would like me to bring back?”
Me: (airily) “Oh, an Ostrich egg would be nice. . .”
And he did.
Here it is. It usually lives, perched in a glass sundae dish under a glass dome in our kitchen. Some things are just priceless, don’t you think?